Dang Facebook! | PIN(K)OY

Labels

12.9.10

Dang Facebook!

Facebook - that social networking site that, only a little less than five years ago I registered into just for kicks in addition to my then active Friendster account. A little less than five years ago, I only had around two real-life pals in my Facebook friends list along with a couple of strange foreigners who were just in my list for some strange reason, and the only activity I did there was play yoville.

Then everything about Facebook suddenly changed.

Now, not only every living (or dead) soul has Facebook, but every place, event, movie, product, website, imaginary friend, stupid idea, animal, mineral, or vegetable has its own Facebook page. The Facebook population has exploded exponentially that if it were a mother, she must be giving birth every minute.

As the World Wide Web evolves, so does Facebook (or FB as they call it) along with it that it is becoming an alternate reality of sorts. Everybody is there - rednecks, anti-techs, criminals, people you thought swore would never touch a keyboard even with a ten-foot pole. I know someone who used the internet for the first time just because of Facebook.

So what is with Facebook anyway that it is just so freakin' popular? I'm really not an expert on social network sites and I'm not about to make a review about FB. Let's just say, even my friend's pet dog has its own Facebook, and she rarely uses the internet until FB (my friend I mean, not her dog).

It is so popular that a lot of its denizens have sort of developed these really disturbing habits due to spending majority of their waking lives logged into Facebook.

There are those who seem to be virtually living entirely in Facebook that they need to post whatever they are doing or feeling on their status boxes every minute of everyday. "So sad I wanna commit suicide," "Send me a Farmville invite one more time and I swear...," "Constipated," "LOL, LMFAO, :), "LOL LOL LOL." Jeez.

There's the "post it, like it" habit. You posted something and then you hit the like button of the post you yourself posted. You are your own friend anyway...or maybe get a life.

Really, the world of Facebook is just so full of annoyingly friendly people.

There are the friendly gaming addicts who spend most of their Facebook lives playing Farmville, Frontiervsille, Yoville (If these were real, they should be millionaires by now). They will send you a friend request for the purpose of expanding their neighborhood.

There's the friendly friend of a friend of a friend who sent you a request just so he could build up his friends list.

There are the friendly friendfinders, friendly stalkers, friendly spammers, friendly marketers, friendly bots, friendly hackers and so forth, and so on. Be wary, they will befriend you at some point unless you do something about your privacy settings.

Then there are those who are just so annoying when they flood your wall with inane posts or worst, will hack into your account and make your virtual life miserable.

But hey, who am I to complain? Point is, Facebook is just what it is, a network site, a tool. Don't make a life out of it. But if you already did, you're one sad piece of ....

So, don't ask me if I have Facebook. It's just like saying, "I'd like to get to know you but not right now, see you in Facebook." Creepy.

2 comments:

.. said...

One thing i really find funny and amusing is when people do post a status and also 'like' it at the same time..but of course you're supposed to like it, you posted it in the first place..sheesh...

Nice post Rhon...

RhonB895 said...

Guess where I posted a link of this new blog entry...O di ba adik talaga? lol

Thanks Anton :)