"My Favourite Things" redux | PIN(K)OY

Labels

14.6.09

"My Favourite Things" redux

A couple of days ago a friend of mine emailed (or forwarded) me a very interesting piece about the reunion of the Von Trapp Family. If you know what I'm talking about, you're definitely around my age (lol). I'm talking about that timeless film classic "The Sound of Music." The original cast had a reunion 40 years after the film was made.

For those who haven't seen the before-and-now photos yet, I'm posting it here in Pinkoy.



(Hey...where is Christopher Plummer in that reunion photo?)


-------------------------------------------------------
The film is definitely a personal favorite. I grew up watching it (yes freulein Maria, I'm not all sci-fi) and even at one point, was in a theater production of the musical in my elementary days. I still remember the slight humiliation I suffered after falling on my face while running down the ramp (prop representing a hill) singing "the hills are alive, with the sound of music..."

Ah, those awkward pre-pubescent days...

Now, my 15-year old daughter has her own DVD copy of the film and swore that it's one of her favorite ultra-classic movies (ultra as in super-goldie lol).
-------------------------------------------------------
The Sound of Music is indeed a super-goldie especially since Julie Andrews (who was I think in her late 20s when she did that movie) is now in her 70s...still graceful and beautiful as ever (I wish I'd grow old like that).

During her 69th birthday, Ms. Andrews made a special appearance at Manhattan's Radio City Music Hall and one of her musical numbers was "My Favourite Things."

Interestingly though, Ms. Andrews sort of altered the lyrics into something more of what she would sing now that she's a septuagenarian (after that performance, she received a standing ovation from the crowd that lasted over four minutes and repeated encores).

So here it is, Julie Andrews' witty and humorous geriatrics take of "My Favourite Things" (for those who know the tune, hey sing it out loud!).

My Favourite Things (redux)
Maalox and nose drops and needles for knitting,
Walkers and handrails and new dental fittings,
Bundles of magazines tied up in string,
These are a few of my favourite things.
Cadillac's and cataracts, and hearing aids and glasses,
Polident and Fixodent and false teeth in glasses,
Pacemakers, golf carts and porches with swings,
These are a few of my favourite things.
When the pipes leak, When the bones creak,
When the knees go bad,
I simply remember my favourite things,
And then I don't feel so bad.
Hot tea and crumpets and corn pads for bunions,
No spicy hot food or food cooked with onions,
Bathrobes and heating pads and hot meals they bring,
These are a few of my favourite things.
Back pains, confused brains, and no need for sinnin',
Thin bones and fractures and hair that is thinnin',
And we won't mention our short, shrunken frames,
When we remember our favourite things.
When the joints ache, When the hips break,
When the eyes grow dim,
Then I remember the great life I've had,
And then I don't feel so bad.

(I know this version would definitely become one of my favourite things...when I hit 70 ^-^)

10 comments:

Goddy: An Unbreakable Spirit said...

Hello, my favorite friend! (Marami kayong fav ko, actually.)

Just want to let you know that I love Austria so much! Bago ako "nabaliw" kay Vincent Bueno who is a full-blooded Filipino who was born and raised in Austria, sa The Sound of Music muna ako nabaliw, which incidentally was filmed in Salzburg, Austria. Don't know why Austria's so good to me.

Anyway, thanks for posting this piece. Hindi 'ka mo nakakasawang basahin. Nostalgic ang dating.

Our good friend, Moks, had featured The Sound of Music in his blog last February. I left quite a longer comment there. Check this link:

http://mokong2007.blogspot.com/2009/02/sound-of-music.html

Thanks again. Love your blog! You, too, but of course!

RhonB895 said...

Ey Goddy! I'm glad you dropped by and enjoyed this post. Actually long overdue na ang post but I still did it. Natuwa kasi ako dun sa email sent by a friend. Would you believe ngayon ko lang natanggap yun? Dami sigurong nadaaanan yun before it came to me.

Went to Moks site too and read his post. Hay, galing!

See you around kuya Godz! Lab u too friend :)

Chronicler said...

I love musicals and this one is on my pedestal. My best movie of all time.

Goddy: An Unbreakable Spirit said...

Hi uli, RhonB!

You know, some of the many school assignments I did or made for others were homereading reports - The Sound of Music, Fullhouse (Korean telenovela), and Jonathan Livingston Seagull. I might post them in my blog. Inggit kasi ako sa post n'yo on The Sound... Everyone's favorite.

RhonB895 said...

Wow, sige kuya Goddy :)

Josie said...

would you believe I got to watched the whole movie only about four or five years ago in cable tv.

RhonB895 said...

Better late than never Josie. Good that you saw the movie or else you'd miss half or you life :)

Curious Minds said...

Hi! Waah! I love The sound of Music. I have a review about it nga..

The new version of the song is updated ha. bagay na bagay talaga sa panahon ngayon, hehe.

Nung natuto akong mag internet, ung Von trapp ang una kong ni-search, and i think the same pic ang nakita ko. Waah! very nostalgic. huhu. sinasanay ko na nga rin manood ang anak ko nyan eh. hehe. ^^

FEDHZ

Rach said...

Mamu...! I so looove your blog about the Sound of Music! This my all-time favourite movie.. =) Err.. actually, there was a time that I stopped watching it 'coz I read the history of the von Trapp family (obsession? haha) and I got disappointed that they changed a lot of things about what really happened. I've even read that the real Maria von Trapp wasn't really happy about it. And I've also been watching Trapp Family Singers (the cartoon series dubbed into Tagalog) and upon reading history, I've learned that the cartoon version is much more like the real thing.. hehe. Eventually, I got over the revision issue so I started watching it again..=) I so love the part when the children sang Sound of Music in front of the baroness, it always makes me cry haha.. And when the Captain backed out from his engagement and finally told Maria about his feelings for her.. So romantic! Haha.. (Lol buong blog na ito ah! Haha) Anyway, I sing to every song in the movie... Oh how I would love to be part of such production! (I dream to be in Broadway someday.. *wink*) n_n

PS. Oh and I liked your awkward moment onstage LOL

RhonB895 said...

@curiousmind thumbs up sa review mo :)

@rachel it's never to late to pursue your dreams sweetie and thanks for the comment! Glad you enjoyed the blogpost :)