One day...two icons gone | PIN(K)OY

Labels

27.6.09

One day...two icons gone

It was around 6:30 this morning (26th of June) when I bolted out of bed to get ready for a trip to Manila for an important meeting with colleagues at our mother network. Vaguely recalling that my cellphone's alert tone went off around 30 minutes ago when I was half waking up, I checked that message that came in. It came from our radio consultant Andy "DJ DoubleB" which said "Michael Jackson is dead. 45 minutes ago. Heart Attack."

Say what?


Just as I was still trying to digest this news, my partner suddenly came in the room and said, "Patay na rin si Farrah Fawcett" (Farrah Fawcett is dead too).

Say what again?

I quickly logged in, checked yahoo and sure enough, there it was - Michael Jackson had a cardiac arrest and died. Since I had previously read from the news that Farrah Fawcett was suffering from anal cancer, I didn't bother to check since I was in such a hurry.

Jeez I thought. My generation lost two icons whom we loved to imitate while growing up. I remembered how my sister and I do this acting thing whenever Charlie's Angels came on the television screen.

And how can I ever forget how brave us neighborhood girls were when we danced "PYT (Pretty Young Thing)" over this local television show. The things we did back in the 80s! But hey, we were young and reckless then, to the point of embarrassment (now I feel old lol).

Anyway, I just did a tribute to Michael Jackson in my radio blog and if you are a fan, do click on the link. I'm also reposting from that tribute playlists from his monumental albums (my personal favorites), Off The Wall and Thriller.

I remember the time.

THRILLER (1982)
(plus bonus tracks from the 25th Anniversary Album released 2008)
Playlist Download

OFF THE WALL
  
Playlist Download

Godspeed Farrah. Vaya con dios Michael.

7 comments:

Chronicler said...

Michael is set to stage a huge comeback...well he maybe better off relieved from the physical pains he was continually suffering from the surgical alterations of his body which prompted him to take demerol regularly. I still salute him for his talents wich will be forever missed in the entertainment world. As for Farrah....I will miss my former pinup girl, who regularly filled my imagination every night. Teka saan na kaya yung malaking poster nya......

The Pope said...

Two great icons of the entertainment world, Michael a musical genius, whose music will live forever, and Farrah who shoot to fame with her gorgeous beauty - of course how can I forget the original Charlie's Angels... we will missed them both. They have been part of our generations.

Happy weekend.

Anonymous said...

Hi..heloO pOh, pwe bumati???

"Hi sa nanay at tatay ko diyan sa amin
at sa mga kapitbahay ko, kumusta na kayo!?
Mabuhay tayong lahat!! : )

Yun lng..Salamat ng marami.."NAPADAAN"

Matt B said...

Wow, I usually dont comment much on blogs, but you had my favorite song, my work out song...Rock with you. I simply adorn that song!!

Anonymous said...

I am in such disbelief, too! I was so saddened by the news, especially about MJ. He suffered so much in life. Even a promising comeback was overshadowed by continued criticism and mockery of his plastic surgeries. I don't think any amount of painkillers could take away the pain that Michael felt all his life despite all the fame and fortune.

RhonB895 said...

There's this new conspiracy theory that MJ was actually assassinated because of his knowledge about this plot to launch a bio-terrorist attack through the A-N1H1 vaccine. I have a link at my left column about that investigative journalist who filed charges against those involved (Bilderberg, Iluminati, etc). To believe or not to believe? I don't know but hell...the New World Order dudes could be at it again.

Goddy: An Unbreakable Spirit said...

He's not out of our lives... And everyone will be going there.